Madison Free Diapers
The Pregnancy Helpline has become the first Diaper Bank in Madison. We are dedicated to helping families by collecting and distributing free diapers to meet the diaper need in our community. The Pregnancy Helpline Diaper Bank is a member of the National Diaper Bank Network. This partnership provides us with valuable technical assistance as well as makes us eligible for large diaper donations through Huggies' Every Little Bottom Campaign.
Our Diaper Bank is located inside our Sharing Center. Families may visit our Sharing Center once per month to receive free diapers, as well as other baby supplies. Diapers are given out in "bundles" - the number of diapers per bundle may vary throughout the year based on supply. Families may have one bundle per family (not per child) each month. All Sharing Center guidelines apply to our Diaper Bank. See the Sharing Center page for details.
Diaper Need in Wisconsin
Diaper need refers to the serious problem of getting babies a sufficient supply of disposable diapers to remain clean, dry & healthy.
- In Wisconsin, 44 percent (183,580) of young children live in low-income families.
- Diapers cannot be bought with food stamps nor are they covered by WIC.
- Without adequate diapers, parents make do without or stretch their minimal supply by leaving babies in dirty diapers longer or reusing diapers. Longer times in dirty diapers can lead to severe diaper rash and other health problems for children.
- Babies without diapers often cannot be left with a childcare provider. Without childcare, parents are unable to go to work or school resulting in more parental stress and more tense, less nurturing home environments.
The Pregnancy Helpline depends on donations of diapers to keep our Diaper Bank stocked. Help us by hosting a diaper drive!
Diaper Drive Ideas:
- Put a pack-n-play in your church, daycare or workplace to collect diapers
- "Stuff the office" of a boss-or co-worker with diapers
- Trick or treat for diapers at your school or church
- Have guests bring diapers to a baby shower or birthday party
- Raise money to buy diapers with a bake sale, car wash or silent auction
The Diaper Bank Coordinator can assist your diaper drive with marketing, signage & flyers. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
The Pregnancy Helpline organizes an annual DiaperDash 5k Run/Walk to raise awareness and funds for our Diaper Bank. This event kicks off Diaper Need Awareness Week at the end of September. Check out the DiaperDash page for up to date information. The next DiaperDash is September 2019 at McKee Farms Park in Fitchburg. Join us!